All students at Melbourne Grammar School are encouraged to appreciate visual art forms, through both formal academic programmes and the display of artworks across the School.
The School’s Art Collection includes:
- Indigenous art work - including those on display in the Barak Gallery
- contemporary art work - including those in the Sculpture Walk
- School history collection - for example, works depicting past Headmasters, the school buildings and grounds, and school events
- purchased student art works
- other art works such as landscapes and portraits
A copy of the School's Art Collection Policy can be accessed here.
The Senior School’s visual arts precinct houses a professional level gallery – called Gearbox. It regularly exhibits student and staff artwork, as well as that of invited artists and artists in residence.
Many items within the Art Collection have been generously donated to the School. Giving to the School’s Art Collection enhances the visual art experience of the School community.
Some donations of artworks may be eligible to be donated under the Commonwealth Government’s Cultural Gifts Program where, if the appropriate criteria and valuations are fulfilled, it may be possible to receive a tax deduction for the gift.
For more information about the Art Collection and giving to it, please contact Susie Raven, Art Curator