The Old Melburnians comprises a global community of business leaders, professionals, and influencers. By actively maintaining connections with one another, Old Melburnians can expand and strengthen their professional networks that can help with career progression.
From the President of The Old Melburnians
I am incredibly proud of our career networking and mentoring program which enables experienced Old Melburnians to support younger Old Melburnians through the critical early stages of career development.
Throughout my career, I have experienced the transformative impact of mentoring, and I am thrilled to be able to facilitate this opportunity for others through The Old Melburnians 2022 Career Masterclass.
Building on the success and growth of our mentoring initiatives over the past few years, our goal is to harness the Old Melburnian network of experienced professionals to provide support, career development and networking opportunities for young Old Melburnians.
In 2021, we expanded the program from 12 mentees and 8 mentors to 36 mentees and 52 mentors. With your ongoing support and feedback, we are delighted to offer this program again and I look forward to growing this incredible network.
I am pleased to introduce Charles Thompson (OM 1987), former M&A lawyer and management consultant, to lead the program this year. Charles takes over the leadership of the OM Career Masterclass from Bill Cowan AM (OM 1962) who expertly guided the program to date.
I wish you well on your mentoring journey.
Thindika Amarasekara (OM 1991)
President, The Old Melburnians
The Career Masterclass is for young Old Melburnians in the first five years of their career. To be eligible for this program, you will need:
- 1 - 5 years professional experience
- To have completed your undergraduate tertiary studies
- To actively engage in a professional relationship with your mentor
- To be an active participant in this program through networking events and opportunities
Why be a mentee?
This program could change the course of your career!
- Gain access to industry insights directly relevant to your chosen career path
- Develop your career strategy and make decisions
- Get help from an independent listening ear who you can talk to in confidence
- Expand your professional network
- Build you confidence to take that next step
Apply here to be a mentee.
We invite Old Melburnians who have five or more years of professional working experience to help in this program as a mentor.
Why be a mentor?
Your advice could help shape a younger person's career.
- Experience two way conversations with a younger person
- Develop your coaching and mentoring skills
- Learn about emerging young leaders in your field
- An opportunity for personal reflection and self-awareness
- Give back and support the next generation of Old Melburnians to be their best
Apply here to be a mentor.
FOR ALL PROGRAM PARTICIPANTS
Before applying for this program, please read the program guidelines so that you understand the program structure, time commitment and expectations.
Communications about the Old Melburnians Career Masterclass program will be via email and LinkedIn. All participants will be invited to the 'OM Career Masterclass Community' group on LinkedIn.
For further information contact [email protected] or phone +61 3 9865 7682.
Here's what some participants had to say about their experience in last year's program:
‘My mentor was a great role model and wealth of knowledge.’
‘My mentor was super helpful and understanding! He had a lot of great tips about expanding my business and networking. He was also really helpful in giving me some general life and career advice and words of wisdom. I really enjoyed our meetings.’
‘The information I gained in this program was very influential and helped me understand the broader picture of the marketing world.’
‘It has been most enjoyable and fulfilling to meet, interact and hopefully assist some wonderful young OMs.’
‘Both of us had studied law and had questions about other career options. We were well aligned on challenges and opportunities.’