Who can apply for a Boarding Scholarship?
Boarding Scholarships are available to you if:
- you will enter Year 7 or 9 in 2022,
- you are already enrolled to commence at Melbourne Grammar School or would be a new student at the School,
- your permanent home is in Australia but outside the Melbourne metropolitan area, and
- you are interested in boarding at Melbourne Grammar School until the end of your secondary education.
These scholarships are not available to International Student Visa Holders or students who already attend Melbourne Grammar School.
What qualities do we look for in an applicant?
We normally offer Boarding scholarships to boys who meet one or more of the following criteria:
outstanding academically talented students
Melbourne Grammar is recognised as an intellectual school, where all students are supported to perform at their highest level of academic potential. This translates into leading VCE results each year and an enormous array of local and overseas post-school options.
If you have a particular strength in one or more academic areas, we’d like to hear from you.
We are well known as a school that nurtures rising AFL players, but we also support promising athletes across many other sports helping them make their professional careers a reality.
If you have the talent, drive and determination to become the best in your field, please contact us about the possibility of Melbourne Grammar supporting your ambition through a scholarship.
boys with leadership qualities and/or community mindedness
We ask all our students to recognise that, with the benefit of a Melbourne Grammar School education, comes the responsibility to make a positive contribution to the world around them.
If you can demonstrate this disposition through past actions, we encourage you to apply for a scholarship.
However, if you have a talent or strength outside of these parameters, please still consider applying. For example, some of our most successful students have been particularly talented in the visual and performing arts. Others have had an entrepreneurial mindset, and some were strong all-rounders.
How to apply
Please note that an application will not be considered unless both Part 1 and Part 2 as listed below are complete.
Part 1: Complete online application form
Please complete the Annual Scholarship application form via Edutest.
Part 2: Upload supporting documents
Once you have completed the application form via Edutest, you must upload the following documents here. You will be asked to upload:
- a hand-written application from you, the student
- a letter from your parent(s), in support of your application
- your past two school reports
- your most recent NAPLAN report
About the written application
This is your chance to tell us why you should be awarded a Boarding Scholarship at Melbourne Grammar School. Your written application should highlight:
- your achievements and qualities that make you a strong applicant for a General Excellence Scholarship (this is the most important part of your application)
- why you want to learn and board at Melbourne Grammar School
- what are your future ambitions, if you have any
- anything else you think we should know about you to help us with our decision making
It should also include any attachments that support your application and demonstrate your achievements – these could include copies of certificates and awards, letters of reference, and pieces of school work.
You can seek advice about the written part of your application from your parents and other adults, if you wish, but we would prefer it if you actually write it yourself. Of course, they can also help you collate your supporting material and create the final document you will submit.
About your parent's letter
We ask parents to expand on their son’s written application, explaining why they think he would a strong candidate. We’d also like to hear about your family background and any other information you feel would support the application.
We strongly suggest that parents of prospective applicants, or prospective applicants themselves, speak with our Admissions Office before submitting their final application to confirm they have explored all options relating to presenting the best possible application.