Grimwade House is divided into three well-resourced sections that together create a village atmosphere that is comfortable for children of all ages.
The historic residence Harleston – donated in 1917 to the School by the Grimwade family – houses Junior Primary, comprising Years Prep, 1 and 2. Once a family home, this beautiful mansion has been transformed for our youngest students, with classrooms that can open up into flexible learning spaces.
Middle Primary caters for Years 3 and 4, and Upper Primary for Years 5 and 6. Each section has its own specialised classrooms and tailored playground area to ensure students are challenged appropriately and their needs are met according to age, interests and ability levels.
Each section of the School has its own assemblies, concerts and dramatic events, in addition to Chapel services and whole-school assemblies. Informal cross-age tutoring, structured playground leadership and reading programmes give students a greater understanding of each other and help build self-confidence. Each section of the School is overseen by a Section Head.
Grimwade House has two libraries, the Kath James Library for those in Years Prep to 2, and the Walker Library for students from Years 3 to 6. The Walker Library is equipped with computers to access the catalogue, internet and portal.
Our facilities also include the Netley Music School; the Alfred Felton Hall and performing space; a Physical Education Centre with a 25-metre swimming pool, gymnasium and tennis courts; a science laboratory; an assembly hall; art rooms; playgrounds and sports oval; a kitchen garden and an Outdoor Education Centre at Woodend.
Chapel of St Andrew
We believe that spiritual values should be nurtured as we help our students grow to maturity. The Chapel of St Andrew was consecrated in 1931 and occupies a central position in the school grounds. It provides a space for contemplation and prayer for all students, and is used by all year levels as they are introduced to the traditions of worship and liturgy.
The Holy Table has pride of place within the chapel, and was originally located in the parish church of St Peter on Eastern Hill, from the steps of which Melbourne was proclaimed a city.